Fault Diagnosis of PV Plants by Aerial Infrared (IR) Imaging
The proposed application is based on aerial IR imaging and provides complete, fast and reliable diagnosis of faults occurring on module scale, in operating PV plants.
- Complete : qualitative (fault detection, classification) and quantitative (quantification of power output losses).
- Fast : aerial inspection, using drone technology ; 5MW plants inspected in ≤ 2 days.
- Reliable : measurement protocol based on future IEC standard.
▪ Hexacopter drone. ▪ ±2°C or ±2% accuracy (IR camera) ▪ 0.04 K thermal sensitivity (IR camera) ▪ estimation of power loss : accuracy up to 98% (methodology) ▪ typical inspection rates : up to 3 MW/day
▪ Outdoor IR thermography
▪ Thermal image processsing
▪ Characterisation of fault types in PV
▪ Optional : I-V characterization (validation of method)
▪ Application of IR imaging/mapping to 2 small PV systems (70KW) ▪ Validation of IR imaging with fault classification/characterization (in laboratory)
▪ Quantitative diagnosis (power losses estimation) methodology patented
▪ Successful application of service and validation of methodology with 4 industrial partners (PV plants of total installed power ≈20MW)
1. Buerhop Cl, Schlegel D, Niess M, Vodermayer C, Weissmann R, Brabec CJ. Reliability of IR-imaging of PV-plants under operating conditions. Sol Energy Mater Sol Cells 2012 ; 107 : 154–164. 2. Tsanakas JA, Vannier G, Plissonnier A, Ha L, Barruel F. Fault diagnosis and classification of large-scale photovoltaic plants through aerial orthophoto thermal mapping. In : Proc 31st European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibition (EU PVSEC), Hamburg, Germany ; 2015
▪ PV industry / plant operators
▪ Optimization of maintenance strategies
▪ Extension of lifetime of PV (↑ warranty periods, ↑ energy yield)
Le Bourget-du-Lac, FRANCE
CEA/LITEN - INES
50 avenue du Lac Léman, 73375 Le Bourget-du-Lac
+33 (0) 4 79 79 21 80